Sunday, July 10, 2011

The ten commandments

Okay, lets look at the ten commandments. I have objections to several of them.
The first seems to imply there are other gods. This would be in direct contradiction to Yahweh's claim to be the only god.
The second flat out states that children are responsible for the sins of their ancestors. Talk about unfair.
No one breaks the third one... when was the last time you heard "Yahweh damnit!". "God" isn't God's name. Yahweh is.
Are there any Christians out there that don't work on the Sabbath? Fair enough they get forgiveness for it, but repeatedly disobeying god's own words is a tad hypocritical, don't you think?
Honor thy father and mother? What if you didn't know them, or they beat you? Should you accept any act they perform because you must honor them?
I can get behind "Thou shalt not murder", but wouldn't that imply that no christian could morally go to war?
"Should not commit adultery" Fair enough. But nothing about people who aren't married shagging like bunnies. Notice no prohibition on condoms, either.
"Should not steal". Yeah, this one I can live with.
Number nine and ten seems to imply that lying and coveting is fine as long as you aren't doing it to your next door neighbor.

3 comments:

  1. Since you visited me, I wanted to email you and find out who I was dealing with, but there was no email on your profile. I can see from your blog here that you are not really interested in knowing the context of Scripture. Until you are willing to use real names and have real conversation, your posts don't even warrant an invested response.

    I pray you'll see more here than just ramblings by an author who thinks he's representing God. There were real people here when this was written. They were set in a real context. You have completely stripped that away and yanked words right off the page. That is unfair to any piece of literature. It's like me taking "Wiley Coyote" and saying something like "This guy doesn't do anything all day but 'play computer' and watch cartoons." Slanderous right?

    At least have enough respect for the literature--even if you don't think it's from God--to leave it where the author (even if you think it is just human authorship) intended.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy accept the Bible as a work of literature, if so many people didn't treat it as the direct word of god. My name is Len, and I live in Australia. If you want to contact me directly, try valheru1000@gmail.com
    BTW, that's an eerily accurate summation of my life... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry... valheru1975@gmail.com recently changed due to large amount of spam activity

    ReplyDelete